Hurricane Fiona Preparation




The Town of Deer Lake is closely observing updates related to Hurricane Fiona. Public Works crews have been clearing ditches and preparing for any issues that may occur due to the anticipated rain and wind.  The Emergency Plan is being reviewed by town management to coordinate any necessary responses.  The Town of Deer Lake has an after-hours emergency line that is always in place to report emergencies related to municipal services. The contact number is (709) 635-2451.

If you see a power line down, stay away, and call Newfoundland Power for help at  1-800-474-5711.

Advise for Residents

In the event of a significant rainfall or wind events, motorists should drive for the conditions to avoid the risk of hydroplaning and only travel when necessary. We would also ask home and business owners to check catch-basins which may be adjacent to their properties, and regularly check their properties for flooding.

Residents should be prepared for the possibility of a power outage. Because of the wind associated with Hurricane Fiona, it would be wise to trim trees on your property and secure anything which could blow away.

It is always good to plan ahead for weather events. Some items you should have at all times:

  • Water – at least two litres of water per person per day; include small bottles that can be carried easily in case of an evacuation order.
  • Food that won’t spoil, such as canned food, energy bars and dried foods (replace food and water once a year)
  • Manual can-opener.
  • Crank or battery-powered flashlight (and extra batteries). Replace batteries once a year.
  • Crank, battery-powered radio (and extra batteries).
  • First aid kit.
  • Extra keys to your car and house.
  • Some cash in smaller bills, such as $10 bills – in the event of power loss, bank machines will not be able to operate.
  • A copy of your emergency plan and contact information.
  • If applicable, other items such as prescription medication, infant formula, equipment for people with disabilities, or food, water and medication for your pets or service animal (personalize according to your needs).

If necessary, please call 635-2451 to report signs of flooding or damaged town infrastructure.